Metcalf Motorcycle County Park

Waiver forms are required for all riders.  View he​re​ to complete the waiver form required upon entry to the park.

Like us on Facebook and get the most current trail information

Motocross off-road track


After further clarification and research into the California Off-Highway Vehicle regulations and the intent behind the exceptions to the Red Sticker Riding Seasons, we have come to the conclusion that it will not be possible for the Department to eliminate or modify the established Red Sticker Riding Season for Motorcycle County Park (MCP). Call the park office at (408) 226-5223 for more information.

Red Sticker Riding Schedule for Metcalf Motorcycle County Park: October 1 - April 30

Welcome to Metcalf Motorcycle County Park, the County park system's only off-road vehicle park. This 445-acre park is located in the grass covered hills of south east Santa Clara Valley. Motorcycle County Park offers trails for the advanced and beginner motorcyclist and ATV rider. In addition to the 17 miles of dirt trails, there are motocross tracks, ATV tracks, a Quarter Midget track, picnic areas, air/water station, loading ramp, and restroom facilities.

Metcalf Motorcycle Park is partially funded by a grant from the California State Parks Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division which supports maintenance, operations, and improvements for the park. The park receives grant funding for three project types: law enforcement, education and safety, and ground operations. 

How to Get There

Metcalf Motorcycle County Park is located at:

300 Metcalf Rd San Jose, CA 95138

Park Office: (408) 226-5223

The park is located in the foothills off Metcalf Road in south San Jose east of US Highway 101. The park may be accessed from the Bernal Road exit off Highways 101 and 85. From the Bernal Road exit, proceed west about 0.2 miles to Monterey Highway south. Take Monterey Highway south 1.25 miles to Metcalf Road. Turn left and proceed up Metcalf Road 2.5 miles to the park entrance. Park will be on your right.


Metcalf Motorcycle County Park's 445 acres contain 17 miles of Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) trail and tracks. Straddling a thousand foot high ridge, these park trails afford riders vistas ranging from Gilroy to San Francisco. The park facilities include:

  • Motocross competition track
  • Mini-motocross track (150cc four stroke or 100cc two stroke or less)
  • Beginner's oval
  • 12 miles of main trails (beginners/intermediate)
  • 8 miles of single track enduro (expert) trails
  • Hill climb area
  • 3 Trials obstacle courses 
  • Shaded picnic areas, restrooms, visitor center, food/drink vending machines
  • A 1/20th mile paved oval track operated by the Baylands Quarter Midget Racing Association, for quarter midget racing and practice.​

In addition to a restroom building, there are picnic tables located at several locations. No tools will be loaned from the office.

View Metcalf Motorcycle County Park for current trail conditions, park hours and special events!

Hours and Fees

January: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
February: 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
March: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (+ one hour for daylight savings = 7:00 pm)
April: 8:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
May: 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
June: 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
July: 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
August: 8:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
September: 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
October: 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
November: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (- one hour for daylight savings = 5:00 p.m.)
December: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

The park is open Thursday through Monday and closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The park is open on ALL holidays that do not fall on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

$6 per vehicle. Please have the required current registration properly displayed on each bike.

Access fees information here: Park Fees

Annual passes are available for purchase at the park. For more information, inquire at the park office or call the park office at the number noted above. If you plan on coming more than twice a month for the year, it will pay for itself. 

Special Events

None are scheduled.

Junior OHV Ranger Program  

Check back for future sessions. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis, and participants must complete a registration form and liability waiver before participating in the five-session program.

Is your child curious about nature? Do they have a motorcycle and want to learn how to ride safely while also keeping our parks healthy? Then the Junior OHV Ranger program is for them!
In our free Junior Ranger OHV program at Metcalf Motorcycle Park, certified Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) coaches will teach basic riding skills and discuss safety equipment, rider etiquette and trail conservation.
Participants must be ages 9-12 and own a motorcycle.
Upon completion of the five free sessions, each Junior OHV Ranger will receive a badge, jersey, and certificate.

Required gear for all sessions (except for first session): 
1.    DOT-Approved Helmet
2.    Eye Protection
3.    Gloves
4.    Over the Ankle Boots
5.    Long-Sleeved Shirt and Long Pants
6.    ***All bikes need to be in working order and have fuel***


Check Back for 2024 Session Details.



Free Dirt Bike Training! Register at the park office today! Flyer






Free ATV Training @Metcalf Motorcycle Park flyer





The Novice Oval will be closed during ATV training. For more information on ATV training, call 1-800-887-2887 or visit Motorcycle training information, call 1-887-288-7093 or visit

OHV Requirements

As a Santa Clara County Parks & Rec requirement, all OHV users must wear a Department of Transportation (DOT) approved helmet at all times while operating the vehicle on the park premises. SCC ORD B14-45.1(b)(2) Motorcycle Park-Helmet Required

For your safety and the safety of others, Off-Highway Vehicles must never be operated in a manner likely to endanger any person or property.

State and Federal law prohibit operating any vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This applies equally to the operation of Off-Highway Vehicles, including those statues prohibiting drinking while driving (CVC 23220), and drinking in a motor vehicle (CVC 23221).

Motorcycles and ATVs must meet state sound requirements.

Motorcycle and ATV warning to meet the state's sound requirements


OHV Sound Regulation & Enforcement

On January 1, 2003, California off-highway vehicle noise regulations changed. If your off-highway vehicle was manufactured:

Noise limit before January 1, 1986: 101dbA and the noise limit on or after January 1, 1986: 96 dbA

 If your competition* off-highway vehicle was manufactured

Noise limit before January 1, 1986: 101dbA and the noise limit on or after January 1, 1986: 96 dbA


Respecting wildlife while riding a motorcycle or ATV reminder message

Off-Highway Vehicles must not be operated in a manner creating off-trail damage or disturbance to soil, vegetation, or wildlife resources. Excessive OHV related damage to forest resources could lead to temporary or permanent closures.

An animation of a motocross rider

OHV Registration

A sample of green and red sticker for valid motor bike registration

California residents must have a Green Sticker, Red Sticker, or current highway license plate for all motor vehicles being operated on public lands. Registration Identification Certificate must be kept with the vehicle along with the Identification, Green or Red Sticker. CVC 38085 Identification Certificate Kept with Vehicle.

California Green Sticker or Red Sticker:

If you are going to operate a motorized vehicle off-highway only, you must have either a current non voided Green or Red Sticker that has been issued by the DMV. The Green Sticker allows vehicles to operate on public land all year. The Red Sticker is for motorcycles and ATVs model year 2003 and newer that do not meet the emission standards established by (CARB) California Air Resources Board. If the vehicle has a 3 or a C in the eighth position of the (VIN) Vehicle Identification Number, then it does not meet the emission standards and should be issued a Red Sticker. The Red Sticker is exactly the same as the Green Sticker EXCEPT that these vehicles can only be operated during certain times of the year.


Off-Highway Vehicles that have been issued a Red Sticker can operate from:



Directions of where to place the registration sticker on a motorcycle and ATV


Newly purchased OHVs must have proof of temporary registration or current registration in the new owner’s name.


For better adhesion, clean surface thoroughly, remove any old stickers. Note, once sticker has been placed, removing the sticker will void the registration sticker, this now is no longer a valid sticker. (CVC) 38090 Lost or Mutilated/illegible ID Plate

An old registration sticker ready to be replaced

 A Green or Red Sticker can be applied to a fork sleeve and attached to the fork to preserve the sticker from damage. The fork sleeve with sticker MUST BE APPLIED TO FORK WITH A PIPE CLAMP to meet CVC 38170(b) Off-Highway Vehicles; I.D. Plate Display

Non-Resident Permits

Sample of a non-resident permit

All vehicles operated off-highway on public lands in California are required to be (1) street-licensed or(2) registered as an off-highway vehicle (OHV), If you are visiting California from another state and your vehicle does not have a current registration from your home state, you MUST purchase a California Non-Resident OHV Use Permit before you recreate on public lands. The permit fee is $30. CVC38087.5 Off-Highway Motor Vehicle; Non Resident Permits

Nonresident Permit Vendor List (PDF)
OHV Permit Order Form (PDF)

Arizona Visitors

Please refer to the Arizona OHV Decal Program web page for updated information.

Spark Arrestors

Off-Highway Vehicles MUST be equipped with a properly installed United States Forest Service (USFS) approved spark arrestor, maintained in effective working order. (CVC 38366 (b)) Spark Arrester

USFS Screen Type Spark Arrestors
A description of a specific model for a spark arrestor


Only motorcycles are allowed on the Motocross Track and on the expert trails. No ATVs or ATCs are permitted on the Motocross Track or expert trails (black diamond).

Appropriate Safety Gear

We only require an OHV rider to wear a fastened DOT approved helmet. Although we recommend each rider equips themselves with all of the gear listed below.

A chart displaying the appropriate safety gear for each rider






Trail Markings

All trails are one way. Proper direction of travel and trail difficulty will be indicated on carsonite posts and will appear as follows:

Trail markings for right and wrong directions


Off-highway vehicle use may be hazardous. Use of protective apparel, skill levels, vehicle condition, terrain, weather, common sense and following the park rules, all affect your safety.

Electric Off-Road Bikes

Electric off-road bikes with foot pegs are allowed at Metcalf Motorcycle Park.  Electric off-road bikes with pedals are not allowed at the park.

Electric off-road bikes are like dirt bikes and ATV’s and must be registered with the DMV to ride at OHV Parks. Some brands of electric off-road bikes only come with a 15-digit serial number and may require a 17-digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) to be assigned by the California Highway Patrol.  Contact the California Highway Patrol for further information or to make an appointment.

Moped plates are not vehicle registration fees for electric off-road bikes, however dual registration can be obtained.  See DMV website for specific requirements on registration.


Before You Head To The Park

Metcalf Motorcycle County Park Safety Video



300 Metcalf Rd
San Jose, CA 95138

Get Directions


©2024 County of Santa Clara. All rights reserved.